Total Pageviews

Friday, October 5, 2012

Careers Highs and Lows: Challenges of a Woman - Marissa Mayer


Besides every other aspect of LIFE, like many women,  a career seems to have it's Highs and Lows, Obstacles and Challenges.



Challenge: Being a Young Child Baring Age Woman:  I have grown up in  family that favors men over women. I've been taught that women need only to learn how to cook and clean and then marry off into a wealthy family and we are set! YA RIGHT!  I threw that right out the window! Its as if this drive to prove my family wrong, that it is worth while to be a woman, I obtained my CFP (certified financial planners) designation and CGA (certified general accountant) designation by age 26.

However to play the equality card is tough. I  know first hand that I've lost chances at a promising position because I was a young child baring age lady.  So its a risk for companies to hire a young woman, since taking a 1 year maternity leave is costly in time, money and training, yet , if a woman takes a short maternity, leave, she is frowned upon by other women???!!!

Take Marissa Mayer, the CEO of yahoo, for example. She is getting all this bad rep for choosing to return back to work in less than a month after having her baby? Is she choosing her Career over her child? Personally, I think her decision is driven by what she thinks is best for her child and the family's future.  I admire her persistence and determination and trust that the infusion of love we all receive once we give birth to a miracle will drive her to which ever path she is destined to go.  


Opportunities
Bikram Yoga Vancouver took their chances with me as their new Corporate Accountant and shortly after, I became pregnant. I can't help but to feel like a let down, yet, I'm determined to channel this inner source of creativity, life force, and miracle into something beautiful during my time here. 

         Creativity
The act of creating lives in me and I further channel that to create processes and systems that improves my employers business.

        Mommy Brain
They say pregnant women get "mommy brain", which means more confused, forgetful and not performing at best. I admit, I am more forgetful, but that simply encourages me to document everything and organize my calendar better!

       Softer
There is a softness when it comes to pregnant women. We are aware of stress on our growing child, so we eliminate stressers, like clutter, politics, and gossip.  We tend not to stress the small stuff and focus on the long-term big picture and well being of our lives and careers, all integrated and working together synergistically.  Its an opportunity to connect with people on a deeper level.

     Determination
Like I mentioned before, for some reason, being pregnant has made me even more determined to channel this inner source of creativity, life force, and miracle into something beautiful at work. I want to do the best I can and transition to maternity leave with ease. In preparation, I've prepared an operations manual for my replacement and that in itself I believe is an asset to my employer. 



Next Challenge - Taking Maternity Leave
I've blogged immensely about this during my first maternity leave with no maternity benefits since I was self employed, running El-Shaddai's. If you have read those posts, those were CHALLENGING times! I had envisioned myself returning to work in 3 months and was told by my doctors, friends and customers that 3 months is too soon, not only for the child, but for my own health as my body recovers from child birth.  Well ... they were right!   Feeding around the clock (every 2 hours, 24 hours a day for a month), while healing from stitches as my body adjusted to new hormone levels and weight all the while going through an emotional roller coaster of highs and lows, were not ideal circumstances for a functional working mother. But despite the challenges, I would do it all over again for the infusion of LOVE for your child and family is so empowering, it gives me strength each day to do my best!

Opportunities

I'm not here yet, as its still months away. But will continue later..

Thanks again for reading!! xoxo





6 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, Congrats on being pregnant again. As you know from my blog Chronically Mommy, we adopted Mick so I have not gone through pregnancy with an autoimmune arthritis disease. I love reading your blog. I was wondering if you would be interested in being a guest blogger on my blog. Send me a blog post that I can publish on my blog that is yours. It is nice because people will get to know about your blog and you and start reading more of your posts! Also, more people will want to be guest bloggers on my blogs. I enjoy having visitors. :) I also have a blogtalkradio show if you ever want to be a guest cohost with me. Let me know. Thanks, Dana Morningstar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana! I'd love to be a guest blogger! what a creative fun idea:) - Is there a certain theme you and your readers enjoy?

      Delete
  2. I am a 45 year old male. I was diagnosed with R.A. about 6 years ago. This disease has changed my life. When it started, I knew little of what to expect and how this disease would progress. I started reading about it but since the symptoms, etc. didn't match my condition at that time, I relaxed and had a false sense of relief. I assumed it must be a mild form and that I will be fine.

    However my body started to feel the full power of R.A. after about a year and I started consuming a cocktail of allopathic medication. My body started to crumble - pain, inflammation in all possible joints, lack of strength, mental fatigue, confusion about the future and a total surrender to the disease. I also lost a successful business and that hurt me mentally and financially.

    The allopathic medication proved to be of little help and was almost (I was able to move with great difficulty) bedridden for about 18 months.

    This is when I decided to fight. I had to. The doctors were not able to give me a satisfactory recovery plan. I decided to try alternate routes to recovery. First with Ayurveda and then with Homeopathy. This new combination helped me. My body started to respond and this fuelled my quest for more alternate medical therapies.

    Today I use combination of Ayurvedic & Homeopathic medicines, I do Accunpucture, Yoga & Urine Therapy besides exercises to strengthen my body. It's been more than a year since I stopped allopatic medication and now depend solely on natural remedies. Besides natural medicines, I also stick to diet that's suitable to my body.

    My ESR (sedimentation rate) which was 130 has come down to 30 & CRP which was 80 is now 11 in about a years time.

    I believe that our body is capable of healing itself but sometimes we just have to provide the right stimulus for healing. If the stimulus is nature based (non chemical) the impact maybe slow but definitely long lasting and without any side effects.

    I have benefited from natural remedies and hope this information is useful to people with problems similar to mine. Also if anyone does benefit, please pay it forward and educate others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! YES THIS IS VERY HELPFUL!!! - I also believe in healing. I'm curious what type of Yoga you found most helpful and what is urine therapy? Very interesting.

      I'm so sorry about your business loss! I suffered from that as well. I ended up losing $100K not including the opportunity cost of working and was on mat leave with no benefits. Very tough financially, but don't give up! You sound to be very inspiring, creative, a fighter with lots of good stuff in you!

      Delete
  3. I have just started up a blog documenting my recent diagnosis of RA, and my struggling with coping with this being only 22 Years old.

    I want to spread awareness of young RA, please have a look :)

    http://porcelaindoll-xo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Thanks Sarah! I will definately follow your blog. I was diagnosed at age 25. Dont let this ugly thing hinder you from reaching the stars. It's a tough thing I'm learning to befriend my body and give it as much love as I deserve.

      Delete